Brownstown-Sefton News

Callie’s Story
As has been her nightly routine for a long time, on Saturday evening, Callie, the kitty, left her private retreat/room to join us in the living room as we relaxed, except I was busy and had not yet sat down.
Callie’s routine was to lie in my lap for a while, then lie down at Bill’s feet, often resting her head on his foot. Saturday evening, I was busy and hadn’t sat down yet.
Callie walked back and forth and kept meowing, which she has never done before. As she had eaten her supper and had her insulin shot, Bill thought it was because I wasn’t sitting down, so I dropped what I was doing and sat down in my chair. I also noted that the moon was full, and maybe she was just restless.
However, she did quit pacing and meowing when I sat down, and she went through her usual routine, giving us equal attention and affection as she usually did. Then, after a while, she let us know she wanted to go back to her room.
Sunday morning, when Bill went in her room to feed and give her the morning shot, he found she had died.
We believe she wanted to be close to both of us Saturday night and was wanting me to sit in my chair, which is right beside Bill’s, so she would be near both of us. We noticed also that she kept looking into both of out faces.
She did not appear to be in any pain or uncomfortable, she had eaten her supper and kept up her grooming as usual, so we were surprised at her sudden demise.  
Those who read the column will remember that she was “dropped off” one winter several years ago, when there was a deep snow on the ground.
We first saw her along the edge of our yard in the woods. She wouldn’t let us near her at first, but Bill and I were both (unknown to the other) putting food out for her in the edge of the woods for weeks.  
We would see her thin and lanky, walking at the edge of the woods, but she would not come to us.
She finally came to the house one day and rubbed around Bill’s feet, so we determined that she was his cat. We named her Calico Gal (Callie). We discovered she had no front claws and was in the “family way,” so she came into the house to stay, out of the cold and safe from dangerous varmints in the woods.  
Before we officially moved her in though, she was somewhat of a mystery cat.
We had fixed a sheltered, warm box for her just outside the patio door. She would be outside in her box when we went to bed and the next morning, she would be sitting on the red cushion in my old wooden rocking chair in the kitchen.
We couldn’t figure how she was getting in. Bill finally found a very small opening near a kitchen water pipe under the house. She was so thin she was squeezing though into the kitchen cabinet and pushing the door open.   
It seemed like she was used to being in a house and that she had been loved by someone. We tried to find her owner, but no one ever came forward to claim her.
She delivered five really precious kittens and we found good homes for them. She was a good mother, but she visited the vet clinic soon after the babies found homes.  
We, of course, came to love her and she was a much-loved member of the Homestead Critter family. She was so pretty, and she kept her white feet and chest immaculate. She was a good kitty and did not deserve being “dumped out” in the woods in deep snow.
She and Josie, the little elderly doggie, had a truce. It seemed that when Josie’s mother, Mandy, died, Callie began to began to act like an “ aunt” to Josie. She would put her nose up to Josie’s ears and face as if she was washing her face. Josie did not appreciate this attention, but she tolerated it, and they were often seen cuddling while napping.  
We feel that Callie was happy and content with her own room (complete with recliner chair near four windows, which gave her a good view of the yard and driveway, cubbyholes under and around the desk, litter box with privacy cover). In short, it was just about everything a kitty could want.
We are glad that she chose to live with us and we are missing her very much. Whomever put her out missed out on a very loving friend.
But we do not want to get another kitty, as little Josie, the doggie, does not need more potential problems in her life at her age. She grew up with Callie – a strange kitty would be too much for her now.
Callie is buried on Cora’s Corner, near other family kitties, “Mama Kitty” and “Tiggy” (Beckmeier) … but we really think that if Cora has anything to say about it, she is now petting them in heaven.
National Road Kiosk…
… in Brownstown, along U.S. Route 40, just west of the firehouse. Featured on the informational kiosk are bits of the history of Brownstown.
One of the featured businesses is the Marathon gas station, which stood on the site. The station was owned and operated by Grover Fisher, who is shown in a photograph, standing between two Marathon gas pumps. His wife, Lucille, took the picture many years ago. The Blue Bonnet Motel and Twin Pumps are also featured on the kiosk.
HCE 4-H Sewing Class …
… is this Thursday at the Extension Office on Sixth street in Vandalia. Classes are from 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m..  
Human Trafficking Program
Fayette County HCE is presenting a program for the public on human trafficking awareness on Thursday, Aug. 13, at Northside Christian Church (1845 W. Jackson Street), from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Speakers will include survivors of human trafficking, and Carolyn Daniels, former director of S.A.F.E. of Vandalia; Patricia A. McKnight, a survivor who wrote a book, “My Justice,” available on Amazon; and Annie Showmaker, survivor. The public is invited. There will be break for refreshments.
HCE District Workshop …
… at Effingham on Aug.11 at St. John’s Lutheran Church, 901 W. Jefferson St.  
Revival …
… at Brownstown First Christian Church – “All Throttle, No Brakes,” Thursday-Saturday, Aug. 13-15, 7 p.m.;Mike Smith-speaker and BFCC-music.
VFW Post 9770…
… is planning another Gut Walk. More information will follow later.
School will soon be in session So watch for the kids on their bikes, skate boards and walking.
Miss Kinley Behrends …
… has been making personal appearances at Denny’s Resturant  in Vandalia. She is usually seen in the arms of Grandpa and Grandma Behrends. Grandpa Dave shared that she is learning to cook there and that she is the boss.
Miss Elise Miriam Kinney…
… was present for her first worship service at Brownstown First Christian Church on Sunday. She was accompanied by her parents, Walt and Adrienne Kinney.
Tena Gould presented little Elise Miriam with her first Bible, a gift from the Ladies Fellowship.
First Christian Church
The congregation of Brownstown First Christian Church was greeted by Jack and Bonnie Shelton, and led in praise by song by Cathy Smith, Judy Pilger and Brent Keyes.  Accompanists were pianist Susan Smith and Chuck Enlow and Walt Kinney on guitars.
Matthew Smith led the Communion meditation. Special music was contributed by Deanna Miller with her parents, Adrienne and Walt Kinney, followed by the morning message delivered by Kevin Bonifacious.
• Leadership meeting-Monday, 7 a.m.
• Tools for School program-First Presbyterian Church in Vandalia on August 12-15.
• Human trafficking presentation-Thursday, Aug. 13, from 1:30-3:30 p.m. at Northside Christian Church in Vandalia. Public is invited.
• Revival At BFCC-Thursday, Aug. 13-15, 7 p.m.  
Mike Smith will be the speaker, BFCC will lead the music.
• Banana split ice cream social -Sunday, Aug. 16, at 6 p.m., in the church basement. Families are invited.


Leave a Comment