On to State: VJHS wrestlers win sectional, advance 13
In its first year of competing in the Illinois Elementary School Association, the Vandalia Junior High School wrestling team has advanced to the state tournament.
The Vandals amassed 276 points, topping second-place Gibson City MS (229) by 47 points in the 18-team field.
In winning the sectional tournament on Saturday at Auburn, the Vandals have advanced 13 individuals to state.
The first-round matches for Vandalia wrestlers are as follows:
65 pounds – Zander Pratt faces Jaxon Brunoehler of Sandwich.
85 pounds – Aiden Evans faces Mike Scott of Manhattan.
90 pounds – Riley Hinton faces Jack Ragan of Dixon Reagan.
95 pounds – Max Philpot faces Gabe Marella of Poplar Grove North Boone.
100 pounds – Elijah Mabry faces Casey Janicki of Channahon.
112 pounds – Zayne Zinkgraf faces Brayden Liu of Green Oaks Oak Grove.
119 pounds – Nic Jackson faces Aiden Marrello of Island Lake Matthews.
126 pounds – Brody Matthews faces Lucas Dunbar of Port Byron Riverdale.
135 pounds – Keagan Turner faces Payton Temple of Clifton Nash.
155 pounds – Dade Kleinik faces Duke Mays of Johnsburg JHS.
167 pounds – Noah Langston faces Ben Buis of El Paso-Gridley.
215 pounds – Dominic Swyers faces Nick Larsen of Mt. Prospect River Trails.
275 pounds – Brody Jay faces Lucas Smerling of Johnsburg JHS.
The Vandals’ sectional results are as follows:
• 65 – Corbyn Bolyard lost by fall to Chloe Collins of Stanford Olympia, 0:40.
• 65 – Zander Pratt received a bye; won by major decision over Chole Bryant of Petersburg Porta, 9-0; lost to Ashtyn Copley of Colfax Ridgeview by fall, 3:05; won by fall over Fiona Grimaldi of Springfield St. Agnes, 0:48; won by fall over Chloe Collins, 1:55. Third place.
• 70 – Parker Daniels lost to Evan Haskett of LeRoy, 4-0.
• 75 – Jase Rosenberger won by forfeit over Devin Davis of Beardstown MS; lost by fall to Kayden Fancher of Gibson City MS, 0:34.
• 85 – Kaden Daugherty won by fall over Bryce Anderson of Taylorville JH, 0:37; lost by fall to Pierce Bultmann of Rochester, 0:56.
• 85 – Aiden Evans received a bye; won by major decision over Kainin Fillbright of Petersburg Porta, 14-2; won by fall over Greyson Steele of Camp Point Central, 0:50; defeated Bentley Fields of Gibson City. First place.
• 90 – Riley Hinton received bye; won by fall over Emerson Johnson of Monticello, 1:00; defeated Jake Baughman of LeRoy, 3-1; defeated by Ezekiel Young of Monticello. Second place.
• 95 – Max Philpot received a bye; won by fall over Noah Whiteside of Stanford Olympia, 2:48; won by fall over Kaden Huster of Gibson City MS, 0:59; won by fall over Briley Carter of Clinton, 0:52. First place.
• 100 – Elijah Mabry received a bye; lost to Ej Chaon of LeRoy, 7-0; won by fall over Carson Sloss of Mt. Carmel, 0:44; won by fall over Nic Mrozowski of Rochester, 1:59; won by fall over Bodey Waltz of Jerseyville Community, 0:44. Third place.
105 – Michael Braun lost by fall to Jaxen Feagans of Petersburg Porta, 2:12.
105 – Jaren Rebbe lost by fall to Case Hughes of Camp Point Central, 0:52.
112 – Connor Crockett by major decision to Reece Milligan of Gibson City MS, 13-4.
112 – Zayne Zinkgraf received a bye; won by fall over Sawyer Arbogast of Petersburg Porta, 1:53; lost to Austin Kisner of Stanford Olympia, 7-5; won by fall over Zachia Gudgel of Monticello, 2:25; won by major decision over Jack Zucco of Rochester, 9-0. Third place.
119 – Cole Yarbrough received a bye; lost to Jimmy Chaon of LeRoy, 7-0; won by fall over John Burse of Monticello, 1:38; lost by fall to Garrett Bradley of Petersburg Porta, 0:43.
119 – Nic Jackson won by fall over Lane McAnally of Petersburg Porta, 0:35; lost by fall to Hudson Babb of Gibson City MS, 2:24; received a bye; won by fall over Kegan Albright of Taylorville; won by fall over Garrett Bradley, 2:13. Third place.
126 – Brody Matthews received a bye; won by major decision over Aiden Douglas of Clinton, 11-0; won by fall over Matt Helfrich of LeRoy, 3:38; lost to Hudson Meek of Lawrenceville Parkview, 6-3. Second place.
135 – Keagan Turner received a bye; won by fall over Quintyn Fulk of Petersburg Porta, 3:11; won by fall over Brett Helfrich of LeRoy, 3:29; won by fall over Kaden Collins of Stanford Olympia, 2:30. First place.
145 – Gunner Major defeated Jacob Meister of Shelbyville Moulton, 3-1; lost by fall to Cooper Miller of Gibson City MS, 0:25; received a bye; lost by fall to Chance Crissey of Auburn, 2:16.
145 – Corbin Meyers received a bye; won by fall over Ethan Brewer of Gibson City MS, 3:24; lost by fall to Colton Shubert of Monticello, 3:40; lost to Justin Droke of Clinton in sudden victory, 6-4.
155 – Baylen Kopp received a bye; lost by fall to Jaden Meister of Shelbyville Moulton, 2:18.
155 – Dade Kleinik won by fall over Kayen Thomas of Stanford Olympia, 0:32; defeated Braden Wood of Monticello, 1-0; lost by fall to Logan Stout of Heyworth, 2:08; won by fall over Caleb Hobrock of Beardstown MS, 2:16; lost by fall to Jaden Meister of Shelbyville Moulton, 1:26. Fourth place.
167 – Noah Langston won by fall over Connor Stockton of Shelbyville Moulton, 1:37; won by fall over Kaiden Ridenbark of Pittsfield Pikeland, 3:02; won in sudden victory over Trevin Hadfield of LeRoy, 3-1; lost by fall to Kegan Dean of Roxana, 1:28. Second place.
215 – Dominic Swyers received a bye; won by fall over Bryden Mosier of Heyworth, 0:33; won by fall over Shadrack Mafhina of Beardstown MS, 0:56; won by fall over Ayden Williams of Auburn, 1:45. First place.
275 – Brody Jay received a bye; won by fall over Collin Nash of Gibson City MS, 1:47; won by all over Elijah Terpstra of Pittsfield Pikeland, 0:41; lost by fall to Brock Walton of Taylorville, 1:31. Second place.