One of the latest victim of the COVID-19 pandemic is the Christmas Open House at the Vandalia Statehouse.
However, even though the Christmas event – which includes Statehouse tours, music and holiday treats – has been canceled, Statehouse ornament collectors can still add to their collection this year.
State Site Manager Kim Lake said that a walk-through event with social distancing will be held for this year’s ornament.
These are the details:
How to reserve your ornament pickup time
• Call the Statehouse, 283-1161, on Nov. 7, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• The first 100 phone reservations will be accepted, and no emails or Facebook messages will be accepted to reserve an ornament.
• Only 100 ornaments will be distributed, on a first-come, first-served basis.
• One person per family may pick an ornament.
• Phone reservations must be made to guarantee an ornament.
• Ornaments must be picked up on Dec. 12 during the time slot given when reservations are accepted on Nov. 7
• Social distancing marks will be in place on sidewalks, and no congregating will be allowed. Masks will be required.
When to pick up ornaments
• Ornaments will be handed out on Dec. 12. Those with reservations are to arrive promptly at their specific pickup time and location, given when phone reservations are made.
• Allie Mae’s Sweetery is making one prepackaged treat per ornament.
• Tiger Lily Flower & Gift Shop is decorating the Christmas tree on the front porch of the Statehouse.
• An Iya’s and Friends vendor, Laura, is making this year’s ornament.