25 Years Ago
1992 – A groundbreaking ceremony was held for an 80,000-square-foot warehouse for Owens-Brockway in Vandalia.
The Vandalia City Council voted to require residents to register at city hall when they held garage sales. Residents were limited to two garage sales per year.
Dr. Kevin Childers took first place in the lip sync contest held during Old Settlers’ Day in downtown Vandalia. The team of Linda Schulte, Tricia Johnson and Mariann Timmermann took first place in the chili cook-off, and Patty Donaldson won the husband-calling contests.
The Vandalia Park District Board announced that Mr. and Mrs. Dave Verner were planning to move their skydiving operation from Sparta to Vandalia and become the new operators of the airport.
Brian Kelly and Jason Laack of Vandalia Community High School shot 85 and 90, respectively, in the regional golf tournament to advance to the sectional tournament.
Mr. and Mrs. Ed Mills were planning to celebrate their 50th anniversary.
30 Years Ago
1987 – Fayette County Treasurer David Marty was among the 71,000 people in Candlestick Park in San Francisco for a People’s Mass officiated by Pope John Paul.
Vandalia officials began working on the city’s application for an Enterprise Zone designation.
John Stout, a teacher at Vandalia Community High School, was named an assistant coach for the Greenville College football team. He was to work with the defensive secondary.
40 Years Ago
1977 – After inspecting the dam at Vandalia Lake, engineers suggested that the city make $48,000 in repairs.
The city of Vandalia began the first phase of a sewer improvement project.
Among the special guests at the dedication of Marill Shelter at the Girl Scout Camp at Vandalia Lake were Dr. and Mrs. Mark Greer.
Loy Smithson of Loogootee, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Smithson, represented the state of Illinois at the National 4-H Dairy Conference in Madison, Wis.
Marita Hopwood was crowned queen at St. Elmo High School’s homecoming dance.
50 Years Ago
1967 – The eight homecoming queen candidates at VCHS were Jane Blythe, Terri Brannon, Barbara Walton, Pat Ellis, Linda Farley, Susie Greer, Patricia Langston and Bonnie Nelson.
Brownstown was planning a community fund drive.
60 Years Ago
1957 – Ninety lawyers and judges in the Fourth Judicial Circuit showed up to honor retiring judge J.G. Burnside of Vandalia at a testimonial dinner.
McDonald Electric was installing floodlights on the grounds of the Old State Capitol in Vandalia.
Nearly 500 people attended an open house at the new Shobonier Elementary School.
Lloyd Higgerson, band director in Vandalia’s schools for seven years, resigned to take a similar job in Kankakee.
A new pipe organ was dedicated at St. James Lutheran Church in Vandalia.
A petition for more wheat acreage in the Kaskaskia River bottoms was denied.
70 Years Ago
1947 – Vandalia Airport officials were planning a flying circus, inviting U.S. Navy crafts to participate.
Berthold Schaal of Wilberton Township was the first person to market soybeans.
Painters completed a redecoration project at First Baptist Church in Vandalia, and members of the congregation were making plans for an expansion project.
Newell Davis, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Davis, received a license to preach as a Methodist minister in Flora.
Harry Truitt, who had been a route manager for Vandalia Coca-Cola for five years, began working as a field representative for First National Bank of Vandalia.
80 Years Ago
1937 – The Illinois Department of Conservation distributed pheasants in Fayette and Effingham counties. The Van Kaw Club received 180 quail from the state, agreeing to feed and shelter them before releasing them the following spring.
There were 100 oil wells in the Patoka area. Adams County led with 41 wells.
Fayette County’s first oil discovery was in Loudon Township on Sept. 26. Carter’s Mary Miller well No. 1 was producing 50 barrels a day.
Vandalia’s new Walgreen store held a grand opening. M.W. Cain owned it.