20 Years Ago
1997 – Based on an ordinance, water rates for residents of Vandalia were increased by 7.01 percent and sewer rates were hiked by 1.48 percent.
After hearing residents in the area of Sunset Drive and Fillmore Street voice complaints about speeders, the Vandalia City Council agreed to consider making the intersection of Sunset and Fillmore streets a four-way stop.
Kelly McGinnis, a Greenville man who murdered Greenville attorney Tom Meyer and shot up the office of Vandalia attorney Larry LeFevre, argued in the Fayette County case that he should be allowed to present a “necessity” defense. McGinnis claimed that he took those actions because he had run out of ways to address what he claimed were injustices in his divorce case.
Earl and Evelyn Wasser of Brownstown were celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary.
25 Years Ago
1992 – The Vandalia Community School District held an informational meeting to explain reasons it wanted district taxpayers to approve a $1.48-million referendum for additions to Vandalia Junior High School and Okaw Area Vocational Center.
The city of Vandalia announced that it would begin picking up leaves at homes. Residents were required to put the leaves and other landscape waste in biodegradable bags being sold at several local stores.
Plans for the first Old Settlers’ Day in downtown Vandalia were being finalized. Activities were to include a chili cook-off, crafts, flea market and a pumpkin-decorating contest.
Tina Braun and John Kaiser were chosen as queen and king at the homecoming dance at Vandalia Community High School.
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of Temperance Lodge No. 16 A.F. & A.M. of Vandalia, the lodge had a special coin produced. The coin featured the Masonic emblem and the Vandalia Statehouse.
30 Years Ago
1987 – Junior Cindy Harrison was crowned homecoming queen at Vandalia Community High School.
The city of St. Elmo received a $49,250 grant from the Illinois Department of Conservation to renovate its swimming pool.
Elwena Scarpaci received a pin commemorating 60 years of membership in the Catholic Daughters of America.
Eighth-graders John Hermann and Annette Morrison were crowned king and queen at the Brownstown SCC carnival.
40 Years Ago
1977 – Jim Staff of Vandalia announced his intention to enter the primary election in the spring of 1978 as a candidate for regional superintendent of schools.
Many homeowners in Vandalia opposed the building of multiple housing units on Fillmore Street.
Don Price was named youth minister at First Baptist Church in Vandalia.
Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Tevis celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary, and Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Pryor observed their 50th anniversary.
50 Years Ago
1967 – The city of Vandalia was seeking a second interchange on Interstate 70.
First Baptist Church of Vandalia held “Jesse Craig Day” to honor a Vandalia woman who had served as a Sunday school teacher for 69 years. She was to observe her 90th birthday on Oct. 10.
Gene Cearlock of Vandalia was named to the position of game warden.
The City Beautification Committee met at the home of Rowena Biellier to discus a tree-planting project.
Van Tran Electric units assembled in Vandalia were being sent to Vietnam.
Robert Hasler was given a plaque in recognition of his years of service with the Vandalia Chamber of Commerce and the Vandalia Tourism Committee.
60 Years Ago
1957 – The Vandalia Volunteer Fire Department answered a call to Vandalia Lumber Co.
Attorney Jack Metzger opened a law office in Vandalia.
Vandalia felt the sting of a nationwide telephone workers’ strike. While 29 women normally worked the Vandalia switchboard, 14 supervisors were working during the strike, taking emergency calls only.
70 Years Ago
1947 – Jean Webb, a former Vandalia resident who was a secretary for Gen. Farthing, was transferred to Guam.
Robert Beckwith, who had been with Beatrice Foods for nine years, was sent to Vandalia to manage the Meadow Gold plant on West St. Louis Avenue.
The Vandalia Chamber of Commerce transferred a strip of land to Industries Inc. for a local factory site.
80 Years Ago
1937 – More than 5,000 school children and teachers participated in the Old Settlers’ Reunion parade.
O.F. Patterson resigned as assistant state superintendent of public instruction to accept a job in Michigan.
A new addition to the city cemetery was made when three acres were purchased from Mother of Dolors Catholic Church by Edward Cocagne, Glenn Curry and Buster Schert. It was anticipated that the new cemetery would be known as Fairlawn Perpetual Cemetery.