Thursday, January 29
• ExxonMobil Annuitants, noon, Vandalia Ponderosa.
• The St. Elmo Ministerial Alliance is asking area churches to celebrate Super Bowl Sunday. Individuals attending church services are asked to take a can (or more) of soup, which will be donated to the St. Elmo Food Pantry.
• Sunday Night Live, grades 7-12 youth group, 6 p.m., First United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall.
• AMP’d, high school youth group, 6:30-8 p.m., St. Elmo Christian Church.
Monday, February 2
• The St. Elmo City Council, 7 p.m., Phillips Building.
Tuesday, February 3
• Friendly Neighbors Potluck, noon, Phillips Building.
• Council of Catholic Women, 7 p.m., St. Mary’s Catholic Church Parish Hall.
Wednesday, February 4
• Wright’s Corner Unit of HCE, 1 p.m., Loudon Town House.
• Reverb Youth, 6:30 p.m., St. Elmo Christian Church.
Thursday, February 5
• St. Elmo Business Association, noon, Mary Ann’s Restaurant.
• Wheatland Unit of HCE, 1:30 p.m.
• St. Elmo Women’s Civic Club, 7 p.m., St. Elmo Public Library.
• Monday, February 9 an American Red Cross Blood Drive will be held 1-6 p.m. in St. Mary’s Catholic Church Parish Hall.
• On Friday, Feb. 13, the St. Elmo Educational Foundation will have a soup supper, with all proceeds going for scholarships. It will be from 5-7 p.m. in the St. Elmo Jr.-Sr. High cafeteria. The menu will include chili or vegetable soup, peanut butter sandwich, hot dog or chicken salad sandwich, dessert and drink; or hot dog, chips, cookie and drink. The charge is $6 for adults, $4 for children under 12.
Historical Vandalia Inc.
“In Appreciation this Certificate is Presented to Susan Belden in Grateful Appreciation for Volunteering at Fayette County Museum.
Dated the 19th day of January 2015. Presented by Historical Vandalia, Inc Board of Directors.”
Belden, of St. Elmo, has served as a museum volunteer for more than 30 years. The framed certificate was presented to her at the Historical Vandalia Inc. Board meeting on Jan. 19 at the Vandalia Chuckwagon Restaurant.
A 5:30 p.m. dinner preceded the board meeting. Present were board members Steve Durbin, Donna Blair, Allison Magnus, Joyce Mueller, Phil Shroyer and Mary Truitt (who presented the certificate to Belden), all of Vandalia; Marilyn Beyes of Smithboro; Jim Brewer and Mary Ann Rhoades of Ramsey; Barbara Buckland of Brownstown; and Anna Jean Rhodes of St. Elmo.
Other guests present were Marion Shroyer of Vandalia and Norman Rhoades of Ramsey.
No meeting was held in December 2014. Minutes of the November 2014 meeting were approved. The treasurer reported the end-of-December balances in the operation fund and restoration fund.
The sales of the museum’s 35th Anniversary Cookbook for $15 and the Fayette County Games for $5 help with the restoration fund. They are available at them.
Probably because of cold weather in December, only 89 visitors signed in at the museum.
A museum newsletter is being prepared and soon will be mailed.
Items received at the museum since the November meeting include several historical tools. They were shown at the November Season of Entertainment program, “Stan’s What’s It?”
The final 2014-15 Season of Entertainment will be at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 22, at the Vandalia First United Methodist Church Wesley Hall. Dr. Kevin Childers will present “High Priest Caiaphas.” Tickets are available at the museum for $13; at the door, they will be $15. Youth tickets are half price.
Two art shows are held in the upstairs at the museum. The annual Fayette County Schools Art Show will be April 2-7. Items entered need to be at the museum by March 27.
The annual Town and Country Art Show will be June 20-28, and items have to be at the museum by June 13.
The annual meeting of Historical Vandalia Inc. will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 16, at the museum, and up to 15 directors will be elected.
It will be followed by a regular board meeting, and officers (president, vice president, secretary, treasurer) will be chosen from the elected directors.
St. Elmo HCE
The St. Elmo Unit of Home and Community Education met the afternoon of Jan. 22 in the home of Anna Jean Rhodes. Because of illnesses and conflicts, only two other members were able to attend – Karen Denning and Sherry Wagner. Sherry joined HCE in December.
After all giving the Pledge of Allegiance, roll call was answered with “What is your favorite soup?” Minutes of the December meeting were approved as read.
Unit member Goldie Harris died on Jan. 3 (she had joined in 1996). A $15 memorial was given through the Fayette County Extension Foundation.
There were no board notes; the January Board meeting is on Monday, Jan. 26.
Rhodes gave both lessons – special feature, “Those Ol’ Bags,” and major lesson, “Bullying.”
After the programs, the hostess served two kinds of sweet breads, several kinds of candy and nuts and they were served with a strawberry punch.
The Feb. 26 meeting will be at 1:30 p.m. at the St. Elmo Public Library.