City where you currently reside: Layton, Utah, north of Salt Lake City.
Year graduated from VCHS: 1984
Education or training after graduation: 1987, Kaskaskia College, associate’s degree, administration of justice; 1989, SIU Carbondale, bachelor’s degree in administration of justice and ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps); 2009, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, master’s degree in aviation management; 1991, U.S. Air Force Pilot Training, T-38 qualification; 1997, U.S .Air Force F-15C qualification; 2009, U.S. Air Force F-22 qualification; and 2012, U.S. Air Force F-16C qualification
Family: Parents, Ray Radliff and Dorothy Jenkins; wife, Lisa Peyton Radliff; children, Christopher, Brittney and Sabrina; and five grand children
Occupations during and after high school: IGA grocery store, pizza delivery, U.S. Air Force, Florida Air National Guard and U.S. Air Force Reserve; currently, commander, 419th Fighter Wing.
School activities/clubs/sports in which you participated: Football, basketball, baseball and band.
School friends: Mark Carroll, Michael Boley, Dave Johnson, Rich Johnson and Mike Grimsley.
Vandalia teachers/coaches/administrators remembered: Beulah Brown, Joyce Staff, Jerry Seaton and Jerry Heinzman, all were passionate, professional teachers; Tim Summers, he just had fun playing the game, which made it fun for us; and Jim Staff, he’s just a great man.
Fondest memories of Vandalia:
• The freedom of riding my bike wherever and whenever I wanted: Reabans (Willy’s) the lake, pool or often to the Dairy Queen, which is still the best DQ in the world!
• Two a day football practices in August; after that, you can do anything.
• Playing hoops at the Central School playground or St James Lutheran Church.
• Dropping quarters in the jukebox at Mr. B’s.
• Simpler times with good, God-fearing people who cared for me no matter what I did.
• Playing “Taps” at funerals to honor our veterans.
• Dave and Jessica Peyton allowing me to marry Lisa … 30 years ago!
I thought that I’d add the following, my advice to students: Never think life won’t get better than it is today, as tomorrow brings new opportunities for those who believe in themselves and never quit. Dream big.