VCC inmate caught 18 hours after escape

About 18 hours after he escaped from the facility, a Vandalia Correctional Center inmate was captured.

Tom Shaer of the Illinois Department of Corrections said that Maurice Battice was taken into custody by an Illinois State Police officer at about 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday.
Shaer said that the ISP officer found Battice walking on a Interstate 70 frontage road about a near I-70 milepost 64, about a mile east of Vandalia.
Battice was taken into custody without incident and returned to the IDOC, Shaer said.
He said on Tuesday that Battice was being examined at VCC’s Health Care Unit and immediately transferred to the state’s maximum-security Pontiac Correctional Center, where he would be placed in segregation as an escapee.
The IDOC reported shortly before 4 p.m. on Tuesday that Battice had walked away while returning from commissary and escaped from VCC at the rear of the prison property.
Shaer said that specifics of the escape, which occurred at about 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, are being investigated.
“While IDOC cannot address all reports, but there was no hole in a fence where Battice escaped, and he did not go through a gate,” he said.
Battice, 21, was serving a four-year prison sentence from Cook County on a charge of possession of a stolen vehicle, and was eligible for parole in January, Shaer said.
“Escapes anywhere in the U.S. among inmates with so little time remaining until parole are extremely, extremely rare,” Shaer said.
A search of the region involved IDOC staff; ISP officers; Vandalia Police Department; Illinois Secretary of State Police; Fayette County Sheriff’s Office personnel and canine unit; canine units from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office and Altamont Police Department; and agencies within the Illinois Law Enforcement Alarm System, Illinois Emergency Management Agency and fire department Mutual Aid Box Alarm System.
Equipment used for the search included utility-terrain vehicles, boats and special light towers.

Maurice Battice

Leave a Comment