Shobonier, the only town in Kaskaskia Township, was established as a timber town in about 1844.
It is located in Section 16, the School Section, and the first to buy lots here in 1851 were James Albert, Francis, J. Brown, Stephen Hopkins and George Willet.
The survey of Shobonier by James R. Oliver was filed with the county as a permanent record on Nov. 20, 1859. The original town was on the west side of the railroad. Three additions, Blackman, Metzger and William Lee, have been made to the town since its beginning.