.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Columns

  • Banks of the Okaw

    This week’s Mystery Banks Photo: This picture, taken 64 years ago in 1948, shows five brothers who grew up in Ramsey.

  • Gov. Reynolds' book recorded state's history

    As a volunteer interpreter at the Vandalia Statehouse, it is my job to relate the story of Vandalia during the years it served as Illinois’ capital, 1819-1839, and of Vandalia's current capitol building, built in 1836.

  • Banks of the Okaw

    This week’s Mystery Banks Photo: This picture was taken several decades ago in front of the former Steinhauer Grocery Store on Sixth Street in Vandalia.

  • The Way We Were

    15 Years Ago

    1997 – The city of Vandalia held a reception to welcome its first city administrator, Ron Niebert. The reception gave residents a chance to meet Neibert and his family.
    The Illinois legislature approved a new law dropping the legal intoxication limit for drivers from 1.0 to 0.8.
    The country band BR5-49 was the main attraction at the Fayette County Fair in Brownstown.

    20 Years Ago

  • Ramsey still has a Lustron home

    Considered an icon of the post-World War II conception of the American Dream, the Lustron home has its place on the National Register.

  • Banks of the Okaw

    This week’s Mystery Banks Photo: These friends, pictured in the early 1950s at a 4-H camp in Monticello, all grew up in the Loogootee area. The one on the left now lives in Springfield, the rest still live in the area.  

  • The Way We Were

    15 Years Ago

    1997 –  A month after convicted murderer Stuart Heaton had his petition for a new trial denied, his attorney argued that a ruling on his request for new DNA testing should be granted.
    Kelly McGinnis, a Greenville man charged with shooting up the office of Vandalia attorney Larry LeFevre, argued that because he will be in shackles for his trial, so should Fayette County State’s Attorney James Overholt.

  • Article describes Vandalia's second capitol

    The first capitol in Vandalia was a frame two-story building erected on the northwest corner of Fifth and Johnson streets – at the current site of The Leader-Union.  Construction began in the spring of 1820, and records show it was built at a cost of around $4,000.
    A fire, discovered around 2 a.m. on the morning of Dec. 9, 1823, totally destroyed the building, along with some state papers.

  • Banks of the Okaw

    This week’s Mystery Banks Photo: These two young ladies, pictured in the mid-1950s, were attending 4-H camp at Allerton State Park.

  • The Way We Were

    15 Years Ago

    1997 – Vandalia’s first city administrator, Ron Neibert, had begun work at Vandalia City Hall.
    Former Vandalia residents, Winifred and Dennis Smith,  were celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary.
    Members of the Vandalia Historical Society approved the incorporation of the group, a step that became necessary after local historian, Mary Burtschi, announced her wish to donate the Little Brick House to the society.