15 Years Ago
1997 – Vandalia’s first city administrator, Ron Neibert, had begun work at Vandalia City Hall.
Former Vandalia residents, Winifred and Dennis Smith, were celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary.
Members of the Vandalia Historical Society approved the incorporation of the group, a step that became necessary after local historian, Mary Burtschi, announced her wish to donate the Little Brick House to the society.
Through a $250,000 bequest, former Vandalia residents, Warren “Bill” and Frances Terry of Lexington, Ky., provided the spark for the establishment of the Evans Library Foundation.
Former Vandalia resident Ann Gehle was promoted to the position of product development officer at Effingham State Bank.
20 Years Ago
1992 – A plan for a shopping center behind Wal-Mart was approved by the Vandalia Planning Commission in a 4-1 vote. The project, submitted by a Virden architect, later died.
The Vandalia Board of Education voted to create two administrative assistant positions at Vandalia Middle School. Donna Cripe was named an assistant for special programs, and Jerry Seaton was picked to assist Principal Bill LaDage for staff and extra-curricular responsibilities.
Former Vandalia resident, Sean Leckrone, won the Vandalia Open for the fourth consecutive year. Leckrone and Mike Pine both posted 36-hole scores of 136, then Leckrone won on the second hole of a sudden-death playoff.
25 Years Ago
1987 – The Fayette County Health Department was asked to serve as the administrative agency for a pre-natal program in a 10-county area.
Wally Young of Charleston won the Vandalia Open Golf Tournament.
More than 5,700 people attended the grandstand events at the Fayette County Fair.
35 Years Ago
1977 – Because of recent rains, the cloud-seeding project was put off until next year.
The corn crop was predicted as one of the best in a long time. Gerald Day of Bloomington succeeded Elmer Kuehn as manager of Country Companies Insurance in Vandalia.
The Heart Fund drive netted $5,371 in Fayette County.
Rich Rames, a Millikin University student was named to the all-state basketball team.
45 Years Ago
1967 – The old Flack House, a hotel during Vandalia’s capitol days, was reduced to rubble this week. It was built in 1830, and Abraham Lincoln stayed there while serving as a state legislator in Vandalia.
Dr. Mark Ervin was elected president of the Vandalia Mosquito Abatement District.
A county vocational school was approved.
Dale Slater, newly elected commander of the 23rd District of the American Legion, was installed at the state convention in Chicago.
65 Years Ago
1947 – Walter Ohley of Alton succeeded K.B. Howe as the Illinois Bell Telephone manager in Vandalia.
Brownstown Christian Church planned to celebrate its 76th birthday on Aug. 3.
Nixon and Reeves distributed pasteurized milk from their newly erected building across from Washington School in Vandalia.
Gov. Henry Horner and two friends from Springfield stopped in Vandalia for a visit to the Vandalia Statehouse.
Construction of a two-story addition to the Hub Store was started this week.
75 Years Ago
1937 – The appointment of Lucille Williams to fill the vacancy of city clerk was recommended by Mayor George Kelly and ratified by the Vandalia City Council.
After 16 years in the same shop, J.M. Goodbrake sold Central Market to Homer Q. Cole.