15 Years Ago
1995 – The chief of staff preservation services for the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency came to Vandalia to view the rehabilitation work being done on the Fayette County Museum building.
Tom Isbell, a Vandalia alderman and former member of the city planning commission, died after suffering a stroke.
The Vandalia Vandals opened the 1995 football season with a 40-0 trouncing of Litchfield. Travis Blain led the Vandals’ offense with 73 yards, and Zach Gummert completed seven of 17 passes for 103 yards.
The St. Louis-based firm of Harland Bartholomew & Associates offered to help the city of Vandalia with updates on zoning maps, city regulations and the city code book.
Alex Wodtka, a 5-year-old St. Peter resident who underwent a heart transplant as an infant, was featured in an organ donor program commercial being produced for Illinois Secretary of State George Ryan.
Louis and Ulavon Haslett of Brownstown were planning to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
20 Years Ago
1990 – Vandalia Community High School opened its 1990 season with a 46-8 win over Carlyle. Brad Bowers ran for three first-half touchdowns and had 226 total yards for the game.
Owens-Brockway Plastics planned a $3-million expansion, and Witte Hardware was named a distributor for Handy Andy Home Improvement Centers.
Dr. Gary Goodin, a Vandalia native, joined the medical staff at St. Mary’s Hospital in Decatur as an anesthesiologist.
25 Years Ago
1985 – U.S. Sen. Paul Simon hosted a town meeting at Vandalia City Hall.
Energy West, a natural gas supplier in Mt. Vernon, was considering an alfalfa pelleting facility at one of its gas plants along Ill. Route 185 near Loogootee.
Vandalia lost to Triad, 47-0, and Assumption battered St. Elmo, 47-6, in the season-opening football games for the two teams. Greg Feezel scored St. Elmo’s only touchdown, a 70-yard kickoff return in the third quarter.
About 60 Fayette County Hospital employees appeared before the Vandalia City Council to voice their support, and ask for the city’s support, of that facility.
Charles Davis retired after 38 years as an accountant for Craycroft Ford-Lincoln-Mercury.
35 Years Ago
1975 – A two-mile ribbon of concrete improved the highway near Ramsey.
Civil Defense volunteers hurried to make ready their newly purchased bus for a trip to Flora, where they took one of two courses for civil defense.
Dr. John Arabatgis was appointed coordinator for Lake Land College at Vandalia Correctional Center for all vocational and technical programs offered there by Lake Land.
The Vandalia City Council agreed to appropriate $1,000 for Southwest Illinois Tourism group and $500 to the Lincoln Heritage Trail Foundation for tourism.
The Vandalia Jaycees had already begun their planning for next year’s Fourth of July celebration (the 1976 centennial year).
A squirrel caused a power failure and water shortage in Ramsey.
In competition with 35 other champions at the United Kennel Club’s national show at Greencastle, Ind., Herb Tessman’s dog was judged national champion coon dog.
45 Years Ago
1965 – The four lettermen returning for football this season were Mike Winters, Tom Wickersham, Lowell Donnelley and Wes Miller.
Teacher Karl F. Fimhaber was recognized for his record of 50 years as a teacher. He had been teaching at St. Paul’s Lutheran School for a number of years. All eight of his children were present, as well as three of his sisters.
A library of educational films was housed in the office of the Fayette County Superintendent of Schools.
Vandalia Cameo Club celebrated its 15th anniversary with a tea and show.
55 Years Ago
1955 – Tom Atwood accepted a position as examiner for Auditor of Public Accounts in the Building and Loan Department in Springfield.
Thurlow Bannister introduced the new elementary teachers: Joyce Hunter, Harriet Brooke, Pollyanna Miranda and Clara McMullen.
65 Years Ago
1945 – A lack of federal and state aid hindered the community high school building plan. It was found impossible to build the new facility as planned without more financial aid.
Turner Beauty Shop planned to move from its location for the past 15 years in the Burtschi building to a new location at 621 N. Sixth Street. The rooms were to have been occupied by Burnside and Burnside, Attorneys at Law.
Forty-eight teachers attended the second annual shop course conducted this week in Washington School.
75 Years Ago
1935 – The remodeling of the entire Kroger Store was started early this week.
The band concert, under the baton of George Whiteman, was an all-request concert this week.