- Special Sections
- Public Notices
10 Years Ago
1997 The Vandalia Historical Society was to hold a ceremony to recognize Mary Burtschi for her donation of the Little Brick House to the society.
The Vandalia Jaycees were still looking for a place to hold their haunted house.
Travis Blain rushed for 294 yards against Pana, but the Vandals lost, 21-14, in an overtime contest.
Mr. and Mrs. David Hill of Vandalia were celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary, and Mr. and Mrs. Erwin Hollman of St. Peter were marking their 50th anniversary.
The Fayette County Board approved a pay increase for the public defender, but rejected a pay hike for the states attorneys investigator and tabled one requested for the assistant states attorney.
Beth Harrington, a Vandalia Community High School graduate, graduated cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law and joined the St. Louis firm of Bryan Cave LLP.
15 Years Ago
1992 One month after Fayette County Board member Dan Laack proposed scaling down the countys Emergency Services & Disaster Agency, ESDA Coordinator John Adermann decided to eliminate the agencys secretary, creating a controversy.
Matt Hall won the Hayner Award, a special award given to a VCHS football player for scholarship, athletic ability and leadership.
Metalize Illinois Inc. bought the former Meyer Metal Fabrication on Ill. Route 185 and initiated plans to open a local facility.
First Bank closed its savings and loan facility on the north end of Vandalia, merging the operations of that facility with the main bank at Fifth and Gallatin streets.
Tim Emerick was elected to a fifth term as president of the Vandalia Board of Education. John Burnam was elected vice president, and Dennis Graumenz was picked to serve as secretary.
The Vandalia School District made the final payment on the $1.48-million bond issue for the addition to Jefferson School.
20 Years Ago
1987 The Vandalia City Council and Fayette County Board approved ordinances approving the Vandalia-Fayette County Enterprise Zone.
The Vandalia City Council approved a new two-year contract for Todd Thoman, the citys coordinator of industrial development.
Fayette County Caring & Sharing began collecting donations for this years Christmas basket distribution.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held for the new USDA Service Center at 301 S. Third St. The building is owned by Lester Construction and leased to the USDA.
Tony Whitten, Brett Heinzman and Dannon Cole of VCHS received all-conference honors in football, and Jeni Marquardt was all-conference in volleyball.
Gene Daniels took over as president of the Vandalia Optimist Club.
30 Years Ago
1977 To honor local school teachers, administrators and support personnel, members of the Vandalia Lions Club presented them with shiny red apples.
Bowling Green residents raised $167 for the Fayette County United Fund. Mrs. Sam Sarver presented the check to county chairwoman Florence Cocagne.
Mr. and Mrs. Fred Perry observed their 50th wedding anniversary.
Doug Reams and Terry Sutherland were named the top football players at Vandalia Community High School.
40 Years Ago
1967 More than 1,000 people were expected in Vandalia for the Illinois Baptist State Association convention.
About 550 trees were planted as part of Vandalias beautification program sponsored by the Vandalia Womans Club.
50 Years Ago
1957 Nada Binnion was one of 19 female music students at Southern Illinois University to perform at the annual fall recital of Mu Phi Epsilon.
Donald Walker graduated from Illinois State Police school in Springfield.
Sen. Paul Douglas visited Vandalia, gathering information about a proposal to put dams at Shelbyville and Carlyle.
60 Years Ago
1947 People with the Gang Buster radio program notified Fayette County authorities that episodes on Amiel Barker, who was convicted of murder in the county, were to air on the next four Saturdays.
Home Finance of Vandalia opened its doors, with Henry Hubler and I.J. Pasley as owner and manager, respectively.
Representatives from eight local churches met to form a laymans brotherhood. Harry Truitt was chosen to serve as president, Paul Houck was vice president, Ralph Tedrick was secretary and Morris Beabout was treasurer.
70 Years Ago
1937 F.E. Crawford succeeded Charles H. McMillan as pastor of First Christian Church in Vandalia.
School in Bluff City was held in the basement of Haley Chapel until voters could decide whether to spend $4,000 for a school to replace the one destroyed by fire. Insurance funds totaled only $2,000.